RECLAIM THE POWER:
ANTI-FRACKING ACTION CAMP
This summer stand up for social, environmental and economic justice.
BREAKING: We can now reveal that the action camp is going to take place at a site near BLACKPOOL. We’re excited to stand in solidarity with the community groups on the front-line of the fight against fracking. See you there?
*Support the community fightback
*Get skilled up and take direct action
*Build the world you want to see
- This year the target is fracking – a form of ‘extreme energy’ that threatens our human rights to a safe climate, clean water and a healthy local environment.
- New fracking sites are being opened across the country every month. Up to 60% of England is under threat
- Reclaim the Power will support a community on the frontline fighting fracking and join the dots between climate, social and economic justice
- Alternatives exist here and now – we could create a million climate jobs, reduce energy demand and convert to community and publicly owned renewables
- We need to reclaim OUR power. The government wants to drill under our homes, keep us hooked on fossil fuels and keep our energy in private, profiteering hands.
- Meanwhile, climate change is getting worse, fuel poverty is killing people and economic and social crises are hitting us harder every day
- We can stop this. We can stop fracking and build a democratic and clean energy system that works for us. The UK has a long history of civil disobedience, from the suffragettes to the disability rights movements.
- We’ll share skills, meet friends, participate in workshops and take mass civil disobedience.
Get involved and get inspired – let’s take on the frackers and win!
We CAN stop fracking in the UK!
We’ll have an exciting stall for the whole of …
Thursday July 31st
The white Lion Hotel- Machynlleth, SY20 …
Reclaiming Power and Confronting Repression: discussion and celebration …
Reclaim the Power Fun-raiser! Friday 8 August, 8pm - …
We’re very excited to announce that we are going …
Why we got together to Reclaim the Power
While Britain is submerged in the worst floods for decades, the government and oil industry are pressing ahead with plans that could see see two thirds of the UK covered by fracking rigs, causing more carbon emissions and causing even more destructive weather patterns.
Fracking is part of the wider Dash for Gas which includes the construction of up to 40 new Gas fired power stations. This agenda will crash our climate targets, increase fuel poverty and keep our future energy dangerously concentrated in the hands of unaccountable corporations.
Climate crisisThe UK is one of the dirtiest countries on the planet – we need to reduce our carbon emissions by 90% in 20 years if we are to stop climate change.
Economic crisisSince 2007, our economic system has lurched from recession, to depression to slump, countries have imploded, people are starving while the 1 per cent gets even richer.
Social crisisSavage cuts to our welfare system, fuel poverty and a lack of decent jobs are tearing apart our social fabric.
Climate and economic justice groups came together to connect the dots and challenge the undemocratic, unjust and unsustainable system to build a new movement for positive change. Check out some of the groups involved at the bottom of this page…
Back to the top of page
Why we must stop the dash for gas
In December last year, the Government announced plans to approve the building of 30 new gas-fired power stations. Despite overwhelming evidence that we’re rapidly heading towards catastrophic climate change, these plans rip up the Government’s own legally binding commitments to reduce carbon emissions; they will actually make us even more dependent on fossil fuels in 2030 than we are now. Find out more›